Opal Envelope and Stationery businesses – update
- Opal’s envelope and stationery operations have been severely impacted by the unplanned stoppage of wood supply from VicForests, which ended white paper production at Opal’s Maryvale Mill earlier this year.
- In April 2023, Opal opened a formal Expression Of Interest (EOI) process for the potential sale of our Envelope and Stationery businesses.
- As a direct result of the VicForests supply situation, and following a robust commercial process, Opal has reached a decision to sell envelope machines and stock from our Australian envelope business to The Camerons Group.
- The scope of the sale takes in the business’ footprint, which covers Victoria, New South Wales, Queensland and Western Australia.
- While the decision to sell the envelope business has been difficult, Opal is committed to working closely with The Camerons Group to ensure a smooth transition for over this time.
- Opal’s manufacturing and overprinting of envelopes will conclude by October 2023.
- The EOI process for the potential sale of the Stationery business has not produced a buyer, and Opal will continue to manufacture stationery at our Preston site until the end of 2023.
- To support our customers, Opal will supply our full range of scholastic stationery throughout the Australian 2023/24 Back To School period.
- Opal has not yet reached a final decision on the long-term future of our stationery business and we expect to confirm by the first quarter of 2024 whether we will import our full product range from overseas.
- Opal will continue to provide additional support to our employees as we work through the transition.